Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

limitation in number of UNIONS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olaf Doschke

Programmer
Oct 13, 2004
DE
Is there a limitation in the number of unions MSSQL 2012 supports?

I get no error executing a query with 90 tables in the form of
Code:
Select sum(cnt) as total, guid, min(Tablename) as table1, max(Tablename) as table2 FROM
(
SELECT guid, Count(*) as cnt, 'table1' as Tablename From table1 group by guid
Union All
Union All
SELECT guid, Count(*) as cnt, 'table90' as Tablename From table90 group by guid
) as temp
group by temp.guid
having sum(cnt)>1
order by 3

The semantic of this is not so important, but as you can guess I try to find out double guid values and where they are present. Mostly in the same table, but also in others.
I started this investigation with finding a single case for a certain guid value, but that value does not turn up in the full query. It does turn up, if I limit the query to perhaps 5 unions, though.

There might be a more elegant way in doing this overall, nevertheless I'm stumped by not getting any error still not the expected result, if there are too many unions. Seems like a bug to me.

Also perhaps good to know is I came from simpler single sub queries in the form of SELECT guid, 'tableN' as Tablename From tableN, only doing the group by on the outer level. I thought perhaps even Union All does filter out double records in some conditions and doing a pregrouping per table might help, but it doesn't.

Also: Real table names are not simply table1 to table90, it's all tables of a database as queried by information schema.

Bye, Olaf.

I found the culprit. I was expecting 4 copies of a certain value in one table. It turns out there is a 5th record with that guid in another table, a version history table.
I was browsing the result with table1=table2 as a certain table name as this case was about repeated guid values in that same table. With min(Tablename) and max(Tablename) I also wanted to find keys being copied to other tables and didn't thought of the case guid values might have both been copied into the same and another table.

So a repeated value of guidX was in both tableN and tableM in this manner in the union:
guidX, tableN
guidX, tableN
guidX, tableN
guidX, tableN
guidX, tableM

Makes a total count of 5 instead of the expected 4 and differing min(Tablename) and max(Tablename) of course.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back