Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limit viewing access to DL's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 1999
US
Company has 4 distribution lists. They don’t want normal users to be able to see these lists in Outlook/Exchange. Sure, users could go through the GAL and select all users or a large group, but they don’t want to make it easy for users to “spam” these specific DLs. How would you go about “hiding” these lists from some users but not others?

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

If the objective is just to make sure users can't send to it, why not just limit who can? That's a built in feature on the DL itself. We do it all the time. Just limit who can send to it.

Pat Richard MVP

Right, I know that's an option, but in a larger org, maintaining those perms would be a pain. I wish that interface would allow you to specify a security group and not just individual users, since it would be easier to maintain the group.

What about setting rights on the DL object in AD with ADSIEdit? I think the default perm is for authenticated users.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back