Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

limit retrieving emails from exchange server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pampers

Technical User
Apr 7, 2004
AN
Hi everyone,
The business where I work uses outlook with exchange server. It is setup that all the users get all the emails in their inboxes. Because a huge amount of emails are coming in every dat, the inboxes contain more then 10.000 emails. Is there a way to limit the amount of emails retrieved by setting a date-criteria (for example: last 14 days). I try to use a filter, that works, but the inbox still holds all the records.

Pampers [afro]
You never too young to learn

Typically, in an Exchange environment, mail is stored on the Exchange server. Are you asking how to prevent all this mail from being stored on the server? - If so, you could ask the users to delete some or look for a pop3 solution where the mail is downloaded & stored on the clients. Or are you trying to prevent this mail from even reaching your Exchange server in the first place?

Steve

Your mail, personal Calendar, Contacts, etc are held in a PST file: when you open Outlook, it loads your PST file. There isn't a way to stop that from happening.

However, it is only your PST that is loaded. Surely you don't have all 10,000 emails in your In Box? There's just no way a human can process that number of emails.

We need to know far more about these emails - where they come from, who they are for and their size. Why are they all in one mail box?

Regards: tf1

Tnx for the reply.
I haven't setup the Outlook/Exchange server environment for the company, but some system engineers form a computerfirm did. I programmed a couple of databases and the company turned to me if I could have a look at the mail system since its performance is low.

It looks like most of the users (around 25) really hold 10.000 uptill 60.000(!) emails in their inbox. If the user goes from his/her inbox to an other folder and back its inbox again, it takes a long time...

Every day 200-300 emails come in and are distributed among the users and usergroups. I think the problem lies in the question: "who they are for" and defining the usergroups. For example, the three manager of the company are member of all the usergroups, because the want to 'see' all the email messages that are coming in - their inbox are filled to the top (60.000 or so). And it is them who complain the most.

For now, I suggested to set a filter on the inbox (show last 7 days) so hopping between folders doesn't take so long. But I think a more structural change to the setup has to be implemented... The personal PST-files have to be sized down. Any ideas??

Pampers [afro]

I see what you mean. I suggest that you check the Exchange Data Store is OK by running the Clean up utility. It will compact empty space (where deleted emails have left gaps) and check that it is structurally OK (rather similar to running the Compact command on a Database).

So many users wanting to view all emails is a problem - not just for Exchange but for company moral! Surely it is better that the emails go to the people who deal with them and leave it to them to copy to manager(s) any important emails that they believe the Mangers need to see. They are making life hard for themselves!

I've seen this problem before where managers insist on being in every mail group: eventually they all gave in! It is far better to trust the staff to perform the 'filtering'.

Regards: tf1

tnx for the advice tf1. I totaly agree on the trust part. I already discussed it with management, and they see that the setup has to change. Also I'm gonna have a look at the CleanUp and structure check. Tnx for the help. Much appreciated.

Pampers [afro]

You can put limits on how much space each user can have in their mailbox and then teach them to delete old mail. There should never be a reason to have 60,000 mails in the inbox, that makes the system unworkable. I see this as a training issue. We have our system nag at 50meg and deny outgoing mail at 55meg.

The answer has always been 42

tnx franklin for the info,
a technical question. If you use a exchange server, where is someones personal inbox stored (and how = pst?). On its on pc or on the exchange server?

Pampers [afro]

The mail is on the server unless you archive the data to your computer or tell outlook to store the info locally(bad idea)

The answer has always been 42

ok, that is very clear. Tnx franklin.

Pampers [afro]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back