Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

limit report output to last 200 char. in memo field

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray436

Technical User
Apr 11, 2000
CA
hello,

We run regular reports that contain case notes and client histories from memo fields in the database.

In my reports some of the memo fields are longer than the unabridged OED.

Is there a way to limit what shows in the report to the last so many lines or certain number of characters?

I really only need the most recent case history from the memo field, and I hope there is a way to do this.

Thanks all....

Ray

Right([YouMemoField, 200)

MichaelRed
mred@duvallgroup.com
There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Thanks for the input Michael, unfortunately it does not seem to work as advertised. It works ok on text fields and numbers, but it won't work for me on the memo field - not sure why. I've likely done something wrong, but cant see how in such a simple parameter.

Are there other needs that must be met in the defining of the field?

What I get is just one letter or number then nothing more, it doesn't seem to like 2 digit numbers as a value. I have tried it on the other fields with just numbers, and it works ok.

Strange.....

Ray

Ok, mea culpa, big loser here, :)

I was trying to use the parameter as in the property setting of a field ( sorta works ) when I should have been using it as a solo expression in the query.

It does now work, but, it only goes back as far as a word wrap or carriage return or blank line in the memo field.

I have a forced blank line between entries in the memo field that is inserted on update - is there a work around?

thanks for your patience.....

Ray

It all works now. Many thanks

Discovered people had been putting in there own carriage returns, when they didn't need to. the field auto wraps but when people start hitting enter a bunch of times, or they use the space bar to position the cursor, (?) , it messes things up.

Oh well, it works now

( Users - Bah! )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back