Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limit local drive access

Status
Not open for further replies.

zrobinso

MIS
Apr 22, 2001
US
I am new to NT and need to create a login script to only allow guest users to login in the local machine name. Also I need to limit the applications the user can run.

Please send me a sample script if possible.

Thanks

Zelda

Do you mean you are setting up users which are members of the Guests group? Or you want everyone to log on as Guest (ie, user Guest)? Is this a standalone machine, member of workgroup or domain? Users can only log on with credentials you (as Administrator) give them, so that bits easy enough. With users which are just members of the Users or Guests groups, the problem is often the other way round (ie, they can't run apps you want them too). So first thing I'd do when you've installed all the software is to set up a test users and check all you want will run. If you want to stop users accessing certain apps, one way would be to put 'deny access' permissions on the executable for Users or Guests group.

Thanks for the reply. The machine is a member of the domain. But we will have the guest users only login to the local machine.

I didn't think of denying access. Thanks again.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back