Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limit local drive access on citrix servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricki

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
GB
Hello Guys,

Just a quick friendly note, I am aware of hiding drives via polices and Scripts.

Now I am at a client’s site and they are interested in not just restricting local drive access on the Citrix server but also preventing users saving back to their personal area... IE P drive.

Now as the users personal area is mapped via the logon scripts, making the documents (P: Drive or whatever letter) available. As the logon script will always connect the users home area as this is required for email and some application access... IE Word templates and so on!!!!

WHAT IS THE BEST APPROACH?

Do I just hide the drives or does any know of any Fresh ways to handle this.

Thanks in advance...

And Scott Holla at me some time.... Mr Skinner

If this is Windows you could hide the users' home drives using a GPO. However Windows GPOs only allow you to hide up to drive letter "E" I think. So you'd need to create a custom GPO template based on this...

It will allow you to hide any drive letter of your choice.

Other than that you could go down the road of setting permissions on these home directories, giving the users read only access to their home directories, but that could be messy if it's a complex environment.

These are the only 2 ways that I can think of

Thanks for the update Dublin.... I have setup custom Letters to hide before via the .ADM route, and that worked just fine for that client..... I was just looking for any other ways to do it.

I will go dowmn the GPO Route.... Thanks again for your Additions to this..

Rick

I used win xp powertoy to hide whichever drive that I need to hide. Also in GP you can restrict all drives as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back