Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limit FTP access

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimised

Technical User
Jun 21, 2001
US
Hi,
I would like to limit a user's FTP access to their home directory only.(ex: /home/userjohn/) They do not log on locally to the machine, the user is only going to FTP web docs. When they ftp in, they go directly to their home directory, but currently they can go back, and the entire root of the server is also available to them. Is there a special group I should put them in or anything else I'm missing so that they Can Not surf the entire server.

thanks

Hi,

To do this you have to set up a change root environment - aka chroot jail. In essence you re-set the user's root directory ('/') as being at some other physical location in the filesystem, e.g. /home/ftp. You then have to create a minimal root system under that point. So, for example, the chroot user's /bin would actually be at /home/ftp/bin in the above example. In theory, they can't cd above their '/'. See -> .

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back