Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

limit for number of records

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeT

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2001
US
I just broke the 5000 mark for records in one of my tables. I use Active Server Pages to input/view info from this table. With the ASP's, I can see all records, even the ones past 5000, but with Access itself, I can only see up to about 4983 (!). It won't show me anything past that. I thought the limit for records was 10,000.
Whats the deal here?

There is no record limit. See "program specifications" in Access help for published limitations.....

I don't think that access tables actually have a record limit. they only have a size limit.
Here is the specs: (from the help files)
Microsoft Access database table specifications
Attribute Maximum
Number of characters in a table name 64
Number of characters in a field name 64
Number of fields in a table 255
Number of open tables 2048. The actual number may be less because of tables open internally by Microsoft Access.
Table size 1 gigabyte
Number of characters in a Text field 255
Number of characters in a Memo field 65,535 when entering data through the user interface;
1 gigabyte when entering data programmatically.
Size of an OLE Object field 1 gigabyte
Number of indexes in a table 32
Number of fields in an index 10
Number of characters in a validation message 255
Number of characters in a validation rule 2,048
Number of characters in a table or field description 255
Number of characters in a record (excluding Memo and OLE Object fields) 2,000
Number of characters in a field property setting 255
-----------------------------
You might want to check to see if you database is working properly or if it needs to be repaired.
let me kow if that works...

It turns out someone put an older copy of the database in a subfolder of the original, and thats the one I was looking at. Jeez....
Anyway, thanks for your posts, I still learned something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back