Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LILO is gone, but linux is not... how do i just install lilo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlnewbie

Technical User
Oct 6, 2001
US
ok here's the situation....
i had a system crash on drive C: which had win 98 on it,
but drive D: had red hat 7 on it.....
so when i reinstall windows's it removed the boot loader so now i have linux on drive D but no way to get to it?
does anyone know how i can only install Lilo on my computer?

thanks,

Ok, I'm very newbie to Linux, but this I think will work. Do you have a boot disk for Linux? I am running Mandrake, but I think they are similar. Anyways, boot to disk and enter the control center. From there boot config and you should be able to configure Lilo or Grub.. Let me know if this works as I am a newbie to Linux and would be interested to know.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Use a boot disk to boot your system.
Then run lilo (your old lilo config should still be intact in the /etc/lilo.conf file). To run lilo just type lilo, and lilo will install a new mbr.

I you don't have a boot disk, you could boot from the rh CD and go to rescue mode.
The cd will boot, mounting your filesystems on disk somewhere. Locate your lilo.conf file and run the command something like this:
#lilo -C /path/to/mounted/partition/etc/lilo.conf

Hope this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back