Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LIKE operator; problem searching

Status
Not open for further replies.

minsan

Technical User
Jan 8, 2001
US
I'm having trouble using the LIKE operator in one of my cfqueries. Here's some background info. I have two tables, namely, Projects and Employees, like so:
[tt]
PROJECTS Table
index title employee_id
1 Build DB 102
2 Create Graphics 101,102,104
3 Write Code 102,103
4 Test Program 103

EMPLOYEES Table
id first last
101 John Lennon
102 Paul Mccartney
103 George Harrison
104 Richard Starkey
[/tt]
projects.employee_id must be a (comma-delimited) string data type AND
employees.id must be a number data type

Now here's the problem:
I have a search page that lets a user enter an employee_id, and the results page will display all projects that the employee is working on. If 0 is entered, it will output ALL employees. Here's my code:
[tt]
<cfquery name=&quot;results&quot; datasource=&quot;ds&quot; dbtype=&quot;ODBC&quot;>
SELECT projects.index,projects.title,projects.employee_id,employees.id,employees.first,employees.last
FROM projects,employees
WHERE 0 = 0
<cfif form.employee_id EQ 0>
AND projects.employee_id LIKE '%#form.employee_id#%'
</cfif>
AND employees.id LIKE projects.employee_id
ORDER BY employees.first
</cfquery>

<cfoutput query=&quot;results&quot;>
#results.first# is working on #results.title#.<br>
</cfoutput>
[/tt]
When I try to search, I only get records that doesn't contain a comma in the employee_id column. For example, if I search for all employees, I only get Projects 1 and 4; if I search for employee 102, I only get Project 1. I tried the IN operator instead of LIKE, but I got a data type mismatch error. I've also tried wildcards, subqueries and other operators, but still didn't work.

Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks!

minsan

Try using IN instead:

<cfquery name=&quot;results&quot; datasource=&quot;ds&quot; dbtype=&quot;ODBC&quot;>
SELECT projects.index,projects.title,projects.employee_id,employees.id,employees.first,employees.last
FROM projects,employees
WHERE 0 = 0
<cfif form.employee_id EQ 0>
</cfif>
AND employees.id IN projects.employee_id
ORDER BY employees.first
</cfquery> - tleish

I tried IN instead of LIKE, but I got an error saying cannot convert '101,102,104' to data type int. Unofortunately, because of the way the system is set up, projects.employee_id must be a string data type and employees.id must be an integer data type. So, I just can't change the data types either.

Any other suggestions?

minsan

Hi,

Why don't you use the ToString function

So your code would be something like

AND ToString(employees.id) IN projects.employee_id.

Might not work, but worth a try

Try this:

<CFPARAM NAME=&quot;FORM.employee_id&quot; DEFAULT=&quot;0&quot; TYPE=&quot;numeric&quot;>
FROM projects,employees
WHERE 0 = 0
<cfif FORM.employee_id NEQ 0>
AND employees.id = #form.employee_id#
</cfif>
ORDER BY employees.first
</cfquery>

<cfoutput query=&quot;results&quot;>
#results.first# is working on #results.index#. #results.title#.[COLOR=000080]<br>[/color]
</cfoutput> - tleish

tleish,

I tried your suggestion and here are the results. When I enter an individual employee, it works. I entered 102 and it picked out Projects 1, 2, and 3. But when I entered 0 for ALL, I got 0 results. It didn't error out, but no records were found. I think it might be because of this line:
This line makes it look for an employee id of 0, which doesn't exist. So I guess half the problem is solved. Anything more I can try?

duns, I also tried the ToString function but it didn't work.

minsan

To this forum's experts...

Can somebody at least tell me whether the problem I described above has a possible solution? Maybe I can stop looking for answers if there isn't any.

Thanks.

minsan

Do you have it set up like this?

<cfif FORM.employee_id NEQ 0>
</cfif>

If you do, it shouldn't be searching for 0 at all. - tleish

I don't think the problem is that he is searching for 0, but if he puts in zero then he gets all the results but they are wrong. As in he gets a list of all the employees as assigned to all of the projects.

The best way to do this is to create a lookup table that combines the employee_id from projects and the id from employees. I know this is a hassle but it will save you the pain. Because of the way SQL is there is no easy way to deal with a column that has commas in it.

duns

tleish,

I think my reply to your second suggestion was inaccurate. I must have left off the cfparam line or something. Anyway, I tried your suggestion again and it only works if I search for an individual employee. When I search for ALL, I get 16 results. Here's the SQL statement from the debugger:

results (Records=16, Time=8572ms)
SQL =
SELECT projects.*,employees.*
FROM projects,employees
WHERE 0 = 0

ORDER BY employees.first

I guess without a WHERE statement that connects the projects to the employees table, I get compounded results, as in the number of rows in projects times the number of rows in employees.

What do you think?

minsan

duns,

You might be on to something. How do I create that lookup table that combines the data from the two tables?

minsan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back