Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LightScribe problems...anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello folks,

I purchased an Asus LightScribe drive a few months ago, I was tired of the ghetto Sharpie indexing and thought this to be a neater solution...I'm that type of guy. I used to take the time to scan the original disc and printed them on clear labels and did the CD Stomper thing until the heat of my 300-disc jukebox-style A/V system caused glue problems and gummy discs.

I though the LightScribe would be the answer, so I bought an Asus drive with the feature and bundled software. It printed nice labels but the version of Nero they supplied was incompatible w/ DVD Shrink, which I love. I know there is a function in Nero (Nero Recode) that does the same thing, but I like to use what I like to use. So, I uninstalled the bundled software, went back to a compatible version of Nero, and installed the puny "LightScribe Simple labeler" software from the LightScribe site.

I bought the best HP LightScribe media. I burned about a dozen DVDs, then all of a sudden I started getting "incompatible disc" errors from LightScribe. I un/reinstalled it and same problem. I realize it's probably a defective LightScribe write head in the Asus drive, I tried cleaning it with air and a cleaner CD, no change, but I wonder if anyone else has had this problem or did I just get a bum drive?

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

Sounds like a bad drive, id rma and get a replacement. Asus is usually pretty good so you probably just happened to get a bad apple out of the bunch.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I don't use LightScribe so can't help with that part of the problem so I'm just chipping in with an alternative suggestion. You can now get quite cheap inkjet printers that can print to CDs, and printable CDs are about as cheap as non-printable ones. The results from my Canon printer are excellent and it's a lot quicker than LightScribe or similar technologies.

Regards

Nelviticus

Unfortunately this problem did not manifest itself until AFTER my purchase of a new Vista-compatible HP All-in-one printer. I already have a mini-photo printer, so three printers may be a bit excessive [smile]. It's a $40 drive so it would just be cheaper to replace it, I posted this to make sure my LightScribe problem was the exception not the rule. I suppose I could try to RMA it through Asus, but alas I have no receipt [shadessad]

Perhaps I will try another brand.

Tony

Well a couple of things to try if your willing to make a few more coasters lol. I have noticed in the past, Itunes interferes with nero and causes it to make coasters. So it is possible that software for the printer is doing the same. If you have it loading, try disabling it from starting up and restart the computer. You might have tried this already, not sure lol. So im just making suggestions

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

The process of my LightScribe's death was incremental, meaning it first started printing with streaks and gaps in the type, then quit working altogether. Since it only affects the top of the disc the data is still fine, no coasters, just Sharpie text.

A new SATA LightScribe drive (Lite-On) is $32.99. I've got at least (4) open SATA ports, I'm hooking up a HDD to one of them tonight to make sure they are available for use. Never had a SATA optical drive before, so this is an educational expense. That's my story anyway. [smile]

Tony

so this is an educational expense. That's my story anyway.

Hey Nelviticus, maybe this can be your excuse for that motherboard? :)

Sorry, Tony....couldn't resist see last few posts: thread602-1422973

Absolutely. You can't put a price on knowledge. And the only way to learn is to buy more stuff.

Tony

While were on the subject of learning, any of you ever posted on here then figured out the answer after posting? Annoys me but makes me happy at the same time when I do it.

any of you ever posted on here then figured out the answer after posting?

All the time! The worst is when I post something then realise that I could have found the answer with a 5-second Google search.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back