Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lightscribe drive not recognised as lightscribe able

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
Hi

I installed my new LG GSA H55L DVD writer which has li9ghtscribe. All was OK until I had to reinstall Windows (XP Pro). Now, I can burn with the drive but my lightscribe software (Nero and Lightscribe) say there is no Lightscribe drive found ??

What's happened ?

Cheers in advance !

I have had loads of trouble with my LightScribe drive, by Asus. Try to see if the default simple LightScribe app sees the drive:

I see they also now offer a more advanced app:

...although it would be nice to have it integrated with Nero. Of course you will need the version of Nero that shipped with the drive.

My LightScribe drive worked for about 50 DVDs, then started failing to burn labels, then failed burning DVDs, then failed reading DVDs. I am left with a stack of Sharpie-labeled LightScribe discs that I bought in anticipation of neat, clean labeling. Needless to say, I am less than thrilled with the technology.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Firmware upgrades can be very helpful making these drives accept a wider range of media at the same time I'm betting an upgrade will also give the drive it's identity back.

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

I did think of upgrading the firmware myself but after searching for ages on the LG website, I found their "micro site" (
All the links for drivers and firmware are broken links.

I wonder if unplugging the device, starting Windows, then shutting down, plugging the drive back in and restarting will make any difference ?

BTW, I have the default lightscribe software installed, but no joy....

That will have the same effect as uninstalling the drive in device mangler and rebooting... Start->Run->Devmgmt.msc

At this point anything's worth a shot. I gave up on mine. $35 wasted [smile]

Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony -
I just tried (before reading your latest post) and unhooked the drive / restarted / shut down / re connected drive and restarted, and hey presto, it's recognised now in lightscribe !

This now leads me to ask - Why did I need to do this just to get lightscribe compatibility ??

Thanks for your help guys !

Following this thread up,

2 weeks on, I've just tried to use lightscribe to do a cover for a disc, and it's not recognised as a lightscribe device again ??????

What's going on ?
Surely I haven't got to unhook the drive / restart / hook it back up and restart again every time I want to burn a label ???

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back