Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lightning strike 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gareth7

Programmer
Oct 11, 2002
GB
My parent's internet connection has has stopped working and I'm trying to help them (over the phone as i live in another country - so the details aren't too good).

The problem seems to be with the dialling the number stage. At first I thought it may be the ISP, but I've got them to try other ISPs with no success.

A neighbour said that lightning struck the telephone lines around the same time the internet stopped working. Could this have fried the modem, or is the problem likely to be something else?

From what I can remember, the modem was integrated on the motherboard and the PC works fine for everything else. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

what kind of error messages are they getting? if its saying "no dail tone" then its the modem.

could you give any details?

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Thanks for the help.

I don't have any more details myself, but I'll get them to try again tomorrow and see if it says 'no dial tone'

Also try navigating into the diagnostics of the modem through the control panel. If they have windows, it may be in a different area due to versions. If you query the modem and it says "port already open" try removing the modem from the list and letting windows redetect it. If it doesn't or it does but it still doesn't work, you'll need a repair job probably.
Ian
:)

Ok I know this is going to sound wierd, but try connecting the phone line into the PHONE jack instead of the LINE IN jack where it's supposed to go. I have seen that sometimes when the modem get's zapped like that it will start working this way. Just had a customer in with that and it's the second one I've seen like that this year.

thats wierd. i need to try that out next time. aroung here we get at least 10 dead modems a week. our trash can gets full.

[americanflag]

really?? I don't get that kind of volume, I get maybe a dozen every six months. I'd like to know how often you get a similar out come.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I'll get them to try what you've said. If they still have no luck, it looks as if I'll need to install a new modem - so my folks will just have to wait until I'm next home. At least I have a spare one ready to go.

Gareth

gloryhound, i'll let you know. we just had another storm day. every storm we get, there are people all over the place calling in "my computer says it has no dail tone. what does that mean?". it must be the phone lines around here (rural NE texas) there are alot of co-op's.

[americanflag]

I know it happened my aunt in Ireland, and the modem was zapped. I heard you say the modem is integrated in the mobo nd all else is OK. This is common enough

Well Integrated is a diff story, if the charge was weak enough the mobo should be ok. However is it starts crashing or behaving erraticly replace the mobo. I think it's also worth mentioning that a damaged mobo can burst into flames. I've seen this first hand, so if you have a partially burned mobo for what ever reason you should terf it. Integrated = bad try to avoid it IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back