Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

light stays on when cd is in drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfbobbo

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
US
I recently put a second cd rom in a co workers puter. I found that the ribbon cables were installed backwards, i.e. pin 1-red dash was on pin 40, not closest to power supply. I believe (farily confident) that all cables and connectors are properly placed. The problem......whenever there is a cd in the cd-rom drive......the "busy" light continues to be on, even if the disc is not being accessed. What could cause this? This happens on both of the cd-rom drives. And I thought that the only time the light should be on is during accessing of the disc. Thanks :eek:)

If the ribbon cables had been backwards the drive would not have worked originally!!
I know that usually the red stripe goes closest to the power cable but NOT always!
Make sure by checking the back of your drive for pin number one or looking at the diagram usually on a sticker on top of the drive.
Also make sure one of your drives jumpers is set to master and the other, slave, assuming they are both on one IDE cable? Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

Martin,

I know it sounds crazy, but the one drive WAS working. However, the second drive was not and I found it to be defective. Now, both drives are working properly, all jumpers and cables set up correctly, but whenever the particular drive is accessed, the "busy" light continues to remain on until the cd is ejected. Beats me, but any advice or suggestion is always appreciated.

Uncheck auto insert notification box for CDroms in device manager, this way they won't try spinning up unless you want them to.
My computer/control panel/system/Device manager/CDroms then uncheck auto insert notification.
This may be just a plaster and not curing the illness! but may help. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

This is not necessarily a problem. The LED light in some brands of CD-ROMs double as a "ready" light, as well as a "busy" light. The Acer600 is an example. When a CD is in the drive, the light will remain lit even if the disk is not being accessed. They do this so you can easily see that a CD is in there. If you don't like that feature, the drive may have a jumper that will change it back to where it is lit only when the drive is "busy."

If the cable was fitted onto the single original drive "backwards", then it suggests that the other end of the cable onto the mobo must also be on "backwards". If you're going to change one end, you've got to do the other end as well. I suggest you go back to the way it was before with the single drive, and confirm that it still works ok. Now try adding the second drive, but leave the cable as it is, and connect this second drive "backwards" as well. You will also need to ensure that one drive is jumpered as a MASTER and the other as a SLAVE.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back