Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

life is too short for this... but the customer is always right

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishysheep

Programmer
Oct 13, 2001
GB
vb.net app that opens various excel/ie windows. As you'd expect, taskbar shows windows in order they were opened. Along comes user who decides to open something else, this window appears at end of taskbar. NO, no, no... user doens't like this, this is catastrophe! User wants new taksbar icon to appear at start of taskbar so that they don't have to waste .71 nanosecond checking which taskbar button they click when using my app.

I don't even know why I'm posting this (defence for when I accidentially drop user from window perhaps - leftmost window obviously). Can it be done? Do we care?

Kill explorer.exe after the app is opened?

So long as the app is the Window on top when you restart explorer.exe, I believe it will be the first to appear in the task bar :).

Ok, thats a REALLY rediculous way to do what you ask, but so is the request!

[auto] The dumber they think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them!

What happens if you experiment with "Group similar taskbar buttons" via the Taskbar/Start Menu Properties?

"Displays taskbar buttons for files opened by the same program in the same area of the taskbar. In addition, if the taskbar becomes so crowded with buttons that the width of the buttons shrinks beyond a certain width, then the buttons for the same program are collapsed into a single button. Clicking the button lets you access the document you want. Right-clicking the button lets you close all the documents you want."

grouping doesn't do what's needed. The suggested UI for the app was to have a main app window (only this would appear in taskbar) and then from that main window you could view the MSoffice/IE windows as required.... only the user wasn't happy with that :)

I was hoping there was some sort of taskbar collection and that if I moved the references around in the collection then the taskbar would sort of miracously reorder itself ...
just like that :)

there are mod programs where you can change the order of the items in the taskbar.. but it wouldnt auto arrange them..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back