Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirre777

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2004
US
The licensing on my servers is all screwed up. How can I remove the old licensing and readd the licenses from scratch?

What licenses are you referring to?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Server 2000 and Exchange 2000 both. In the Licensing snap-in its a mess. I just want to reset everything blank and reinstall. I have just purchased new CALs for Exchange 07 and Server 03 from 2000. I upgraded one of the servers but it still has all the old licensing. Is it possible to just wipe the slate clean and plug in my new licenses?

You don't need to bother with those at all...it's just there to "help" the admin keep track, but as you have found, it's a mess. Turn the licensing service off if you'd like, it's not needed.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Agreed. I never even bothered to use the licensing snapin because it was always screwed up. I sometimes wondered if that was intentional.

At any rate, the only exception to that is the Terminal Services licensing, which has to be accurate for TS to work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back