Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Licensing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffhoge

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2011
US
Pardon the fairly trivial question...

I'm on MCD 4.2 and noticed that there is only one type of IP user license displayed ("IP User License"). Previously, when I was on an earlier release, I remember two different fields for SIP users and IP (I assume Minet) users.

Here's the question: is there a difference between SIP and IP user licenses now? If I remove a generic SIP device and replace it with a Mitel device, can I recycle the license? Or vice-versa? I am not using embedded messaging.

Here are the Answers:

Is there a difference between SIP and IP user licenses now?
No

If I remove a generic SIP device and replace it with a Mitel device, can I recycle the license?
Yes

Or vice-versa?
Yes

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Yep only SIP trunks a seperate license now. SIP devices and Mitai devices all are just take a user license. Therefore you don't have to purchase a SIP user license if you want to try out a SIP client on an iPad for example.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Thanks! This is an excellent move on Mitel's part.

You no longer require licenses for resiliency either.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

starting in MCD 4.1 where Mitel introduced Standard and Enterprise deployments. Enterprise licensing included automatically a license for the secondary controller. Downside is that enterprise licenses more expensive because of it. So in other words if you have a phone that you don't need to make resilient, you pay the higher price. Stupid in my opinion.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back