Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Licensing - confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCSLOY

Technical User
Jun 7, 2007
NO
I have just got the contract to install sbs 2003 at a customer who currently use a ASP and wishes to have everything in-house. Currently there are 9 client machines running xp. In regard to cal and microsoft office licenses, I constantly hear it is cheaper to use the open license programme , but this seems expensive in regard to buying 5 cals and 9 oem copies of office. Have I missed something here? Is it legal just to buy oem copies and install them? If anyone has got any suggestions, please help!

It's perfectly legal to buy OEM copies - PROVIDED you buy them preinstalled on the computer. Once you have the computer you cannot legally add any OEM licenses to it.

Volume licensing CAN be cheaper AND more flexible. For example, a volume license will grant you downgrade rights - if, as most people, you are despising the Office 2007 "ribbons" system that replaced the traditional menu system, you could use Office 2003 instead (there are some technical annoyances - like you may have to find a way to get the 2003 CD yourself... but you WOULD be licensed for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back