Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Licensing a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bretto99

Technical User
Mar 6, 2002
AU
Hi. I have written a database system with supporting VBA code for a specific purpose, and want to try protect this 'software' from being copied/distributed randomly as far as possible (eg by locking it to certain machines within the organisation or by supplying a licence number for each copy of the software supplied such as one gets with Microsoft products). I guess a license agreement would also help to make pirating illegal. I know it is hard to prevent pirating but would like to put something in place!

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience on how to go about protecting myself?

Many thanks.
Bretto

Create an MDE file from your MDB which wil strip out your code and afford you the following protection.

Saving your Access database as an MDE file prevents the following actions:

Viewing, modifying, or creating forms, reports, or modules in Design view.
Adding, deleting, or changing references to object libraries or databases.
Changing code — an MDE file contains no source code.
Importing or exporting forms, reports, or modules. However, tables, queries, data access pages, and macros can be imported from or exported to non-MDE databases.
Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

I have the same problem and using an mde is understood. A partial solution that I have used is intended to prevent copies being used on another computer. I add an sillyname.ini zero length file into the windows\system directory then have my code look to see if it is there from the OnLoad event of my main form. If it's not, it a DoCmd.Quit withj no messing.
That brings me to my problem. I want to make all forms read only after a certain time has passed if they don't have next months password but I can't figure how to achieve this because they could just keep resetting the system clock.

Creat a table that links to your forms. Have it have a unique ID and each time the form is manipulated it saves the date and time. The next occasion the form is entered and manipulated, the date should be greater then the last manipulation. If it isn't, then disable all controls. Also, do another check: if the date is over a certain age disable controls.

Hey, i just thought that up in about 4 seconds. I'm getting good. I hope it works and is understood.

Thank you all for your replies. Robert - your suggestion is appreciated and I will definitely use the MDE to protect code etc. One problem though is that the CD ROM that I supply the MDE and help files on can still be used on many PCs and can also be copied to give unauthorised versions - the system is not really linked to any libraries etc and hence that aspect of the MDE file does not help out with protection from pirating. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back