Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Licensenumber input after automated install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Borgmann

Programmer
Feb 9, 2017
DE
Hi guys :)

i'm currently trying to install VFP9 under chocolatey (software distribution tool).
I already created an 'unattend.ini' file by doing a testinstall based on .\WCU\setup.exe.
The regular setup.exe can't do this as it doesn't know the parameter /createunattend.
However, as VFP's licensing modell is user based and unintend.ini doesn't contain a licensekey I need to know, if by any chance exists an option to assign VFP a lic.key after the unattended install process.

Hopefully someone had to do this and give me some info

oh, BTW, please don't give me an alternative distri tool. I have to use chocolatey and nothing else. This is strict company policy...

TIA

-Tom

The setup depends on the Microsoft installer system anyway, if that's not present I think it'll fail.

The onl other thing I can conribute is that I don't know of any user specifc licenses installed, the usability of common conrols and winsock control is added by the setup, the right to redistribute exists and is - I think - embedded with the merge modules about these things you're allowed to redistribute.

So from that persepctive all you need to be able to add for unattended mode is the product key, when it comes to the legal/licenseing aspect, and then whatever else is asked by the setup, the installation director, for example, if you don't pick the standard.

Since you can also install VFP manually for all users and not a specific user, the EULA is more about the legal aspect than the technical enforced licenses, you might look for something you'll never actually find. Microsoft was counting installations when there is a license compliance verification, I wonder if that's in that program as VFP is discontinued, but sure, what your company or the company you do this for should ensure is it has as many retail or subscription licenses as are necessary for the user count.

Chriss

Tom,

Forget my previous post. I just checked the Chocolatey docs, and it's clear that the whole point is that it just does the unattended part of the install. I don't know why I thought otherwise. Maybe I was thinking of using Boxstarter with Chocolatey, but I don't have any experience of that.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back