Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License Upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoIPP

MIS
Jan 28, 2009
US
I have to upgrade a IPO V2 from 6.1 to 8.1 small.

Does Avaya have a web page that gives concise information up upgrades for the IPO?

This seems to be a lot harder than it should be.

Maybe it just me.

With all due respect upgrading is as easy as it gets to a trained tech, Avaya don't make it too easy for non trained people to upgrade the system, nor should they :)

You just need an upgrade license for R8.0 small.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Spend 2 days fighting with the upgrade.
When upgrading to 8 - upgrade license shows dormant (8 - basic), when upgraded to 7 - active - all good. Went back and forth several times - same result.
Maybe it is simple, but it does not work.
Left at 7 since need system working.

Did you order a release 8 upgrade license?
It sounds like you did not.

BAZINGA!

How did you up upgrade?

BAZINGA!

Loaded license and than upgraded with correct IP Office manager version (actually pointed to correct directory with files for respective rev. when switching between v7 and v8).

When you upgraded it then it be am in basic mode and it should not do that with upgrading.
You must have done something wrong.

BAZINGA!

Did that multiple times (even changing mode to standard - license showed active there).
Also did it unde direction of tech support (resealer support not AVAYA) - no dice.
Can't think of anything else..

I suspect it is an R7 license not R8. Post the feature key and I can see what you have.

Mangaer shows as follows: Software Upgrade 4 = R7, Software upgrade 5 = R8.

Best bet, get a trained Tech in to sort this out.

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Material Description IPO LIC UPG R8.0 SML
Licencekey Name SOFT_UPG_SML
LicenceKey Description Small Site Software Upgrade
CPU Location Description Small Site Software Upgrade
Derived Quantity 5
Key Quantity 5

Quantity of 5???
You only need one license :)

BAZINGA!

Amriddle,

I am ACIS, MCSE, CCNA.

As I understand it, up to version 5.x there is no upgrade license. After 5.x Avaya charges for major upgrades (ie: 7.x to 8.x), except for version 6.1 which also requires a license. The licenses inside Manager are numbered “Software Upgrade 5” [R8] for instance with a number completely unrelated to the version number. Now as far as I can tell, for some reason there is no “Software Upgrade 1”. With the advent of R8 there is a new Basic to Essentials upgrade license to consider as well. If you buy a R8 system new and want voicemail Pro then you have to buy the Essential Upgrade as well as the preferred license but if you have an existing R7 Preferred system then you only need the R8 large or small upgrade and don’t need the Essential upgrade. If I have an R7 essential system and want to move to R8 preferred I don’t know if I should upgrade the R7 to preferred and apply R8 upgrade and buy essential upgrade or buy R8+essential+preferred. In addition there are changes to the applications that have to be considered like VPN, IP Endpoint, and Phone Manager Pro.

I figured all that out by reading technical bulletins, tek-tips and IPO Matrixes and I hope to God that I got it right because the customer expects and accurate quote and they are already unhappy that they have to pay for an upgrade for which the only valued added will be that the 9608 phones will stop locking up. A single document to explain all the changes in licensing over the past versions would be nice, a flow chart would be a godsend.

This is all quite beyond my Disti salesperson, they get it wrong all the time, so no help there either.

With all due respect, while it is not rocket science, do you really think this is as easy as it gets?

tlpeter,

To go from 6.1 preferred --> 8.x wouldn't I need [R7 + R8] and will not need Basic-to-Essential?

You will only need an upgrade license for 8.0
The upgrade license will act as a virtual essential license.
The essential (virtual or normal) will allow you to go from basic to ipoffice mode.

BAZINGA!

If you keep up to date it isnt difficult to follow, any major upgrade beyond R5 is licenced, major being R6 - R6.1 or R7 to R8 etc, since R8 any New system needs an essential edition licence to run in Ip Office mode (essential edition), if you are upgrading an existing Pre R8 system running Ip Office mode that licence becomes free and is auto generated :)

What if I´m on Release 6.0.1803 Essential Edition and I want to go to R8 ?

I just need IPO LIC UPG R8.0 ?

Yes, that is all.

BAZINGA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back