Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License requirements for upgrade 5.0 to 7.0 VPN IP Extensions obsolete

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedphones

Vendor
Oct 11, 2005
US
I am taking a site from R5 406V2 to R7 500V2 and transferring licenses. Of course on R7, the VPN IP Licenses now show as obsolete which I understand.

I just want to be sure the VPN phones will still work on R7 so long as I have VCM resources via a VCM32 or a combo card (with the purchase of endpoints).

No new licenses? Will the phones just pickup where they left off if I have imported user, shortcodes, etc. and built extensions to match the former system?

Thanks

The VPN phone licenses are not needed anymore from 6.0 till 7.0

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

www.lantel.nl
logolantel.png

That is only partially true. While the VPN phone license is no longer required an Avaya IP Endpoint license is.

We had some customers who (either because they were using Combo cards or legacy IP400 VCM cards) who had VPN Phone licenses and after upgrading were left without functional phones because they had no Avaya IP Endpoint licenses.

Kyle Holladay / IPOfficeHelp.com
ACSS/ACIS/APSS Avaya SME Communications
APDS Avaya Data
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007/2010
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Thanks all. In this upgrade we were fortunate and it came up. I outfitted the 500V2 with a VCM 32 which gave me 12 endpoints which Kyle touched on. The phones actually seem much more stable, quicker to register and log in. So far so good! I have a couple of VM to email issues that have emerged at that site, but will start a new thread in a few mins.

I do not believe that is the case Amriddle

as I read the tech bull & documents:-

It is h323 remote extensions (using Nat traversal) that require additional licenses,teleworker or Power user (2 free). VPN connection via a secure gateway can still be setup as before, just needing an IP endpoint License

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

I can confirm that VPN licenses are not required to go from R5 to R8 as long as the phones are terminating on a VPN concentrator (as IPGuru just posted).

We have a site running a number of VPN handsets and as long as the IP endpoint licensing's OK, you're good to go.

We are experiencing frequent drops on several handsets (with stable performance on others) since the upgrade though. We're working on it with the disty & Avaya, but any thoughts or experiences would be a bonus.

Handsets are 5600's terminating on a Cisco ASA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back