Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License Consolidation Failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterdonnelly

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2009
GB
Trying to upgrade to v8 from v7. I got support to check the databse was AOK for upgrade and tests came back clear.
Running setup from DVD1 on Commserve. Setup runs fine for 10 minutes and asks me the right questions. I download the latest database upgrade scripts and extract them to a folder and point setup at them. After a little more time I get an error sayint the database upgrade failed. I dig thur the log files folder and inside the DBUpgrade.log file everything looks correct until i see an error "License Consolidation Failed" and "Current Commserver release Id is the same as upgrade target release from configuraton file. Upgrade cannot continue".

Any thoughts. It's totally disabled my ability to backup.

I do not have any specific ideas on why you recieved that error message but I can say that I had multiple issues upgrading from v7 to v8, all stopping exaclty where you had issues with the error message db upgrade failed. I did this 3 times and rolled back the DB and software all 3 times with no problems, so right now, roll it back and apply the last DB backup.

This is how I did the upgrade. I created a virtual machine and then put in on local host mode (so it could not talk to the network). I then installed V7, restored the latest DR backup from production (this was from the same day after all jobs had completed). I then upgraded the VM to V8 with no issues at all and took it off local host after shutting down the production server. I ensured a DR backup could run and then ran the commserve as a VM for 1 night. The next day I reimaged the production comcell, ran a DR back up on the VM with no jobs running, shut down the VM, and then installed V8 on the prod server. Once the install was complete I restored teh DR back up from the VM, it workd with no issues.

I know this seems time consuming and trust me it was a pain, I would have called support but we get it thru Dell and frankly they suck at Commvault support. I can give a more detailed scenario if you like but basically I had to build another comcell and work with both for 2 days to get the upgrade to work.

Personally I suspect SP5 for V7 to be the problem as it caused issues with our ADIC I2k and some other miscallneous issues I was able to resolve. I would try to remove SP5 and try the upgrade again, of course you have to recover the DB in V7 and go thru that fun first. SP5 is just a guess as I never figured out the exact cause, I needed support for 2008 r2 and the only way to get that was upgrade to 8 so I got creative :)

Let us know how it goes, I am interested as I thought I was the only person with upgrade issues.

Hi

Ensure you have SP5 installed on all clients and apply patch 1462

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back