Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Libraries - sys/io.h sys/time.h

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost159

Technical User
Oct 11, 2004
GB
I have a program for getting data from the serial port of a computer,
However when i compile it says the sys/io.h & sys/time.h libraries are missing.

Where can I get these libraries from (download)?

Cheers
Will

You don't.

Welcome to the wonderful world of porting code. Basically, you have to look at how those non-standard functions are used (and what they do) and figure out an alternative way of solving the same problem using the non-standard functions you do have with your compiler.

For large libraries (like OpenGL), there is a good chance that someone has already done the hard work of porting the library to your platform (in which case the answer is easy, you download the library for your platform).

> I have a program for getting data from the serial port of a computer,
Perhaps you should say which Operating System and Compiler you do have, then perhaps we can make a better suggestion.

--

CreateFile
The CreateFile function creates or opens a file, directory, physical disk, volume, console buffer, tape drive, communications resource, mailslot, or named pipe. The function returns a handle that can be used to access the object.

If you follow that through, then you should be able to replace the serial port code you have with equivalent win32 calls.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back