Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

libopt.so.0 no such file error

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornetbloke

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
NL
I just installed rsync on a Solaris 8 box but when one of our developers tries to rsync they get the following error:

ld.so.1: rsync: fatal: libopt.so.0: openfailed: No such file or directory
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-8/rsync/io.c(140)
Result: 12

I've looked all over to try and find the source for libopt but I'm hitting a brick wall each time.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

what is their LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to?

compare it to someone who _can_ run rsync.

The problem is that the libopt.so.0 does not exist anywhere on the server and I can't seem to find what it is that I need to install to get it.
I just wondered if anyone knew which package/source includes libopt.so.0 so I could go get it and install it.....

did you compile it yourself?
does it work for anyone on your machine?

is the version of rsync the version from the companion CD?

if you aren't using the rsync from the companion CD, and you can't get the companion CD (for whatever reason), can you get the source and compile it yourself?

Jon

rsync is from the sunfreeware package. I just installed it on the box because our developers asked me to and the installation caused.
I'm just wondering where I can get this libopt.so.0 that is causing the problem by it's absence.......

Above line should read:
rsync is from the sunfreeware package. I just installed it on the box because our developers asked me to and the installation caused no problems.

from "rsync-2.5.6-sol8-intel-local.gz rsync is a replacement for rcp that has many more features - installs in /usr/local. Rsync requires that you install the popt package also."

relevant links ...
intel:

sparc:

if you use the one off the companion CD (with the libraries) they're in /opt/sfw/lib, however the sunfreeware one installs in /usr/local/lib

Nice one Jad, thanks a lot mate.
I guess that'll teach me not to be in such a hurry and to read the small print in future eh? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back