Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

libdvdcss and what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QatQat

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2001
IT
Hi there,

I have installed libdvdcss, I have installed xine, mplayr but both of them do not seem to be using libdvdcss and therefore I am not able to play DVD on my FC5 box.

What else shoudl I do?

I have been suggested to install libdvdcss2 (from ubuntu) but, after downloading it, the package seems to be substantially the same as libdvdcss, just an older version.

Any ideas?

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

Umm...Maybe you should install the software that depends on the library after installing the library? Just a thought.

Hi marsd,

to my knowledged libdvdcss is just an implementation of the deCSS script, a CSS descrambler written in the 90's, that now comes with all major distros.

It does not seem to need anything else. Mplayer/xine and other DVD software do not seem to strictly need it either.

You may probably need it for DVD rippers, but it doesn't look like it works anyway.

Cheers

QatQat

Visit FreshRPMS and get libdvdcss, xine, xine-ui, and xine-skins install them on your box and your off.

Install freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm first. Then you can use yum to install xine and it's dependencies (and other) RPMS from the FreshRPMS site.

I like watching movies on my laptop and I've used this method before. I used to have FC5 installed but I switched to SUSE 10.1 recently. For SUSE I used the source RPMS from a mirro off the Xinehq site and used rpmbuild to make the binaries.

Have Fun! [afro2]

If you can execute xine-ui and you get the GUI press the DVD button to start playing the DVD. If you get an MRL Syntax error then you need to specify the playback device. Open the setup window. On the GUI tab specify your expeience level as "Master of the known universe" and click apply. Navigate to the Media tab and make sure the correct device is specified as "device used for DVD playback". Mine is set to /dev/dvdrecorder.

Have Fun [afro2]

There is a link off of the xine page on sourceforge that has an RPM with all of the DeCSS and WMV libraries included. You just need to download that RPM and install it.

I can't get there at the moment, otherwise I'd just provide the link.

pansophic

Hi pansophic,

what is the RPM called?

QatQat

thanks pansophic,

I will try today and get back to you.

Cheers

QatQat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back