Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Libarary QPFRDATA size causing backup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishank

Technical User
Feb 1, 2005
US
The QPFRDATA library on our AS/400 is causing backups to take longer. Usual a backup will take about 4 hours but it is taking way longer. Last backup took 6 and half hours.

The library was about 8.4GB and is growing in size. This is also caused hard drive space issues. Can this library be cleared? Or reduced in size?

This is the performance monitor data collection library. Your obviously collecting performance data, so, you may have an application using it.

You can delete the data from the library by using this command:

DLTPFRDTA MBR(*SELECT) LIB(QPFRDATA) JOBD(QPFRJOBD)

It will list members containing data and you can select them to delete.

I have asked around and no one seems to be collecting the performance data There really is no need to, but I have asked our home office again about this again.

So if no one is collecting this data. Can I assume that deleting it will not cause any problems to the system?

What can happen is that there is a job that runs continually and does something with the data; like print a report. This may be a third tool or one written in-house.

I was at a shop once that didn't know they were collecting the data. They also had issues with disk space. I stopped the performance monitor and QSYSOPR started getting errors from a third-party application they didn't know they had. Maybe this is your case.

If you can be reasonably sure that nothing like that is happening and that nobody needs the data for anything, you can get rid of it. You can also turn off the performance monitoring. I haven't worked with this for a very long time, but, there's a whole list of commands. If you get to a command line and enter GO CMDPFR, it will list all of the performance commands.

Here's a link to an IBM Book that may help:

When I try the Command

DLTPFRDTA MBR(*SELECT) LIB(QPFRDATA) JOBD(QPFRJOBD)

I get...

DLTPFRDTA in library *LIBL not found.

Any reason for this?

check your user class, you may need to be *sysopr or *secadm to use the command.

try WRKOBJ OBJ(*ALL/DLTPFR*) to locate the command. if you locate it, and it's not in your *libl, you'll need to use the fully qualified name.

HTH

Mike Butler
Now former Iseries Guy -> PC's back, SUNs gone Iseries gone- BooHoo
"Never put off 'til tomorrow what you should have done yesterday

I tried the command as Security Officer.

I tried WRKOBJ OBJ(*ALL/DLTPFR*) but all I get is...

(Cannot find object to match specified name.)

This is under Security Officer by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back