Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LI - ION Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

estevez9999

Technical User
Jun 7, 2003
GB
Hi,

Can a latop run off the mains without the battery inserted?

Thanks in advance.

It would depend upon the laptop, how it is designed. You should check out the manufacturer website. The answer is yes on my two of my laptops one has an external power supply and one has an internal power supply. Both laptops work on line power from wall receptacles with out the batteries installed.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

When i take the battery out and put the power cable in the lights flash for an instant. When the power button is pressed the screen flickers for a second and nothing. The power light is also off at this point. With the battery & the power cable on theres no response from the lights or screen.

Every one I have ever had anything to do with would run with AC only.
Sounds like you have some power distribution problem within the box.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Turn the laptop upside down and with a small screwdriver tighten every case screw you can see.

My daughter's Dell laptop does this about every three months, as the center screw on the bottom holds all the system grounds.

Otherwise, take it to the shop. It might be something simple as the power adapter has failed or has a broken wire.

Hi Guys,

The screws were a little loose but it was still the same issue after tightning up. Will have to put it back to the supplier. Thanks for ur comments.

Cheers
Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back