Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LH3000 Raid5 Adding space

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovalles

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2001
US
Using the NetRaid Assistant i have succesfully added two more discs to the raid.
However, the partition remains with the same size. Is there a way to add space to the partition?
If i rebuild the raid will increment the partition size?
is making backup, delete partition, creat big partition, then restoring the only way?

thanks
lovalles

You should be using "Online Capacity Expansion". That is configurable from within the RAID controller BIOS. I've never tried to turn it on after the system was built, so I don't know if it's something that can be done after the fact.

What it does is make the OS think that there is a huge 1/2 TB drive out there to be used. Then it's up to you to use Disk Administrator to partition and format the amount of space you physically have, since the OS has no clue. If you add drives to the array, you would then go back into DA and add capacity to that partition, or make a new partition.

What you have to remember is to only use the Disk Administrator to partition and format the portion of space THAT YOU ACTUALLY HAVE. If you try to use space that isn't physically installed, the OS will probably let you, but you'll hork up the works when the system tries to stripe the data out into the great unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back