Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LG DVD RAM drive issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

voisey

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2006
GB
Hi all. Hope someone can assist.
I have just upgraded my home tower pc to Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Everything has gone ok except for one item.
I have two DVD RW drives which are both LG : HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GH22LS30 drives and since the upgrade they are both
behaving as if they were ROM drives only. I have downloaded and run a firmware update from LG but this has not made
any difference. Is it possible that the drives are not compatible with W7 64x? - There was no mention of 64x drivers
on the LG web site for this model of drive. Anyone know if I have to do anything else within Windows to make them work
properly or is it a matter of purchasing new 64x compatible DVD RAM drives.

Any help or pointers would be welcome

ATB Voisey

By the way, when I insert a DVD into the drive and I try to view it through Windows Explorer the drive disappears from the listing. Weird
But, it will play pre-recorded DVD's

ATB Voisey

Does device manager show them as installed properly or are there exclamation points?
Link

Look at this: Link

Also run Nero InfoTool to see what IT thinks the optical drives are capable of. Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks for response goombawaho

Yes Device Manager does show both of them working properly
I will check the links later when I get home

Thanks

Hi goombawaho

I've gone through the links you provided and unistalled/reinstalled each drive and made changes to the registry.
I have also used Nero Infotool and everything seems as it should be i.e. able to r/w to variety of disc types.
Am now at a loss on how to rectify this

Regards

Voisey

Anyone know if I have to do anything else within Windows to make them work
properly or is it a matter of purchasing new 64x compatible DVD RAM drives.
These drives should work. There is no X64 incompatibility or anything special to install them.

How did you determine that the drives were "behaving as if they were ROM drives only"?
What software are you using to try to burn something as a test?
Have your tried IMGBurn (free) to test? Link

Thanks again

I was in the process of creating a boot disc using Acronis 2011, after having created an image which was saved onto a second internal HDD. When I put a blank DVD into the DVD drive, and this happened whichever drive I tried, it started to spin but then nothing happened. Opening Windows Explorer I saw the drive D:\\ (or E:\\ - whichever I was using) disappear. I have tried playing a pre-recorded DVD film but that does not run, although the title does show in Windows Explorer. If I place an audio CD in the drive it did play - or at least iTunes asked me if I wished to import.

So the upshot is, I suppose, that the drives should work therefore it's possibly a configuration issue. I have heard from various sources that SATA cables can fail (not sure how true that is) so I will try replacing that as the next step.

Voisey

SATA cables can fail (not sure how true that is)
ANYTHING can fail including the motherboard's sata ports, but how likely is it that BOTH sata cables failed at the same time causing this issue.

How about a BIOS update first. Then try connecting only one optical drive with a new cable to see if anything will work properly.

At some point you're getting down to borrowing or buying a new optical drive to see if it will work.

Hi

Just an update from me re the DVD drive issue I experienced recently.

Sorted

Bought a new DVD drive, installed ok and works ok. Still not sure exactly what happened to the original but as you say, goombawaho, anything can fail.

Thanks for your help in this, really appreciated. By the way did undertake BIOS update with no apparent change.

Cheers

voisey

Both failing at the same time is hard to believe/stomach. I'd test them in another PC though, just for funzies.

Have just checked the second DVD drive after updating the BIOS and it seems to be working fine now, although the first drive did not want to play at all.

I think I was so pleased that a DVD drive worked at all that I failed to check the second drive after updating BIOS. I think this was because I do not use that drive now. It seemed to be a good idea at the time (when system was built) having two DVD drives. But now one is sufficient. It would seem that the first drive failed and updating BIOS made no difference whereas the second drive had not failed but needed BIOS update to kick it into action again.

Again your help greatly appreciated

voisey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back