Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lexmark x215 in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonlog

Technical User
May 26, 2003
US
>>I can print from DOS to all printers except the Lexmark X215. I tried installing a different windows driver for the X215, but that doesn't work. It does the same thing. Thank You for your help.<<

Apparantly your Lexmark X215 printer is a Windows only printer so somehow you have to correctly redirect your dBase printing to the Lexmark Windows only printer.

If I want to use a new printer with an old DOS program I always make sure the printer is designated in its information as a DOS printer besides being a Windows printer. To many buy a Windows only printer and then expect it to print directly from their DOS program. Doeson't work correctly.

Not necessarily true. DOS programs &quot;copy&quot; a file to LPT1, usually. The printer then has to &quot;capture&quot; the LPT1 port.
This can usually be done by a net use command:
NET USE LPT1 \\COMPUTER\PRINTER /PERSISTENT:YES

This is because Windows uses &quot;virtual&quot; ports to better facilitate networked and USB printers. But this still works for DOS.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back