Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lexical paramater problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakeez

Programmer
Dec 15, 2005
GB
Ok...I have a new problem now. The SQL query is accepted thanks to your help. Just a reminder. I am doing

SELECT
... . ...
&lex_var my_alias
... ...
FROM
GROUBY
my_alias;

Also, my_alias is likend to a column for display in the report. Now, essentially the new problem is that Nothing is displayed in the column corresponding to my_alias. My guess is that for some reason or another my_alias remains at null.

Also, if it helps, in the Data Model in the reports builder. When I look at the my_alias variable, it is the only one without a yellow arrow next to it.

I would apreciate any imput.

Try debugging the SQL in TOAD. Lexicals can be substituted in TOAD parameter screen the same way the report is supposed to do.

Hi again nagornyi,

Thanks for bearing with me. I have been playing around with the code. Remember how I wanted

lex_var := 'Statement I want'

and to have

Select &lex_var my_alias....

well lex_var has two possibilities:
1. A function, say lex_var= my_package.my_function()
2. A field, say lex_var = my_table.my_field

I have a feeling that my_alias is in fact equal to the statements in 1 and 2 and not the returned values. Is this possible? The reason I say that is that I tried in pl/sql with

Select &lex_var into my_alias and I saw that my_alias was equal to the string of statement 1 or 2..

Of course, my_alias wil be equal to statement 1 or 2, but it gets that value before the SQL gets parsed, so the value becomes a part of the SQL statement. All you need to do is to try the SQL with my_alias replaced with either value, and debug it.

Ok. I did what you asked and thanks! I have it seems pinpointed the problem. Because the query ran fine in toad, I started looking at the layout of the report and there I see that the width field is blank and I believe this to be the root of the entire problem (i.e. of not having anything displayed for my_alias).

Unfortunately, I cannot directly set the width field to some value so I will try to work around! Any suggestions are welcome and thanks so much for bearing with me here.

In Layout, choose a displayed field, double-click or press F4 takes you to the Property Palette.

There, under Column, there is a field or paramater called width.

I actually fixed the original problem with a sort off patheric workaround. I created a formula column in DATA MODEL. The formula is:

my_alias_form := my_alias.

and I display the formula instead of the original alias which allowed me to set the width field to 250 and now things are properly displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back