Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lens Flare Allways unselectable? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

emkemner

Technical User
Oct 6, 2003
US
What are the prerquisites for using lens flare? Everytime i want to use it im not able to. For some reason its allways greyed out?

Must be in RGB mode and must be on a layer than contains something. A lens flare can't be rendered on an empty layer.

As an aside, if you want to render a lens flare on its own layer, here's a little trick:

1: Go to Layer > New > Layer... (don't use the shortcut button on the layer palette, as it doesn't bring up the options dialog)

2: Change the mode to "Overlay"

3: Check "Fill with Overlay-neutral color (50% gray)" and click OK.

You can now render a lens flare on this new layer. It also works with several other filters too, but as pixl8r points out, you must be careful with what color mode you use.

Nice trick blueark! Didn't know that one. A star for you.

Thanks for that. I'm always using it to add a bit of noise over a layered image, or even adding something from the Filter > Texture menu. Anything that saves me from having to flatten the image can't be bad!

Thank you both very much. I'm constantly working in cmyk mode and never even thought about needing to be in rgb. Star for you both...

Nice trick Blueark...plus the Layer Thumbnail, when doubleclicked, gives you the chance to make further adjustments to opacities etc.

As a follow up, you can Alt/Option click the new layer button in the palette to get the New Layer dialog. Might save a few seconds!

Also, if the lens flare isn't strong enough, just duplicate its layer. Using along with mscallisto's tip, you can really exercise great control over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back