Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lenovo Wireless Internet.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

macten88

Technical User
May 11, 2004
US
I reloaded the factory image on a Thinkpad P61. Installed Service Pack 3 (xp) and downloaded 103 critical updates. Updated the video and wireless card drivers. Connected to my wireless network and surfed the Internet for two hours. Everything looked normal.

Tried to connect to his wireless network and it wouldn't connect unless I turned the radio off and then on. It would work for awhile and then I would again have to turn the radio off and then on. My laptop runs fine on his network.

Difference....I have an older Linksys router and he has a newer Netgear router.

Is there a known problem with Lenovo's wireless software programs? I couldn't connect to either network using Lenovo's wireless software. So I selected 'let windows make the connection'. It worked on my network but not his. Anyone know what's going on here.

I don't like Lenovo's wireless software. What if I go into msconfig and deselect that Lenovo wireless software so it doesn't load. And let windows connect?

You can, and it should work ok, but ThinkVantage is a very nice little tool. I use it all the time. I use it to setup profiles for connecting to my office and home wireless, and to the IBM remote access and IMM management cards in servers. Pick my profile, make the connection, and boom, I have a connection. The only issue I am aware of, is it will not work right if you have let windows make the connection going at all. they interfere with each other. But you should be able to use whichever you are comfortable with, including other third party software.

thanks for the reply rclarke. I'll try it out and reply back here....

well, I downloaded a program that upgraded all the Lenovo software. Installed it and fixed the problem. It's Miller time....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back