Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lenovo ThinkCenter rebuild 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fino

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2007
US
I have a Lenovo M70e Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 0806, Machine Type Model: 0806E1U with a dead motherboard or CPU. I was running Windows 10 Pro on it when it died.

I want to try my hand at rebuilding it with a new motherboard, CPU, and memory and use my existing two hard drives. I have never built a PC before so I am asking for some suggestions regarding what motherboard and CPU would be a good fit for this Tower case.

I suspect I will be able to still use my copy of Windows after installing all the new hardware.
The machine will NOT be used for gaming. It will simply be added to my home network with Office 365 and routine Internet searching, etc. I do want to have 1 GB network connectivity.

Has anyone here rebuilt an old machine like this? The Power Supply, Hard Drives, and Switches, etc., all seem to be okay. My dilemma is figuring out what Motherboard and CPU would fit into the existing case. There are so many choices and I don’t want to make a mistake and order the wrong parts.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

The Lenovo M70e 0806E1U desktop was introduced ~2011/2012 as an 'entry-level desktop designed for large enterprises which need to shrink operational, maintenance and energy costs', i.e. a budget business PC with an underpowered CPU and matching PSU. Reviews at the time were generally poor as the 'build down to a price point' resulted in very poor Windows performance scores. That didn't matter... it was built to be cheap and reliable, nothing more.

Even if the mainboard mounting points and the case's backplane (the rear plate with holes corresponding to the mainboard's external connectors) were standard (which I very much doubt), the 8/9-yr-old PSU just doesn't have the capacity to reliably drive anything other than a similar CPU/GPU combo to what was in it originally. The PSU was also built to be reliable, not powerful.

It almost undoubtedly came with an OEM Windows 7 license. Any mainboard/CPU change will invalidate its current Windows 10 digital license, i.e. it will not activate. The only two ways to activate would be to 1) purchase an identical mainboard/CPU combo (if available... I can't find any) then phone Microsoft to explain (as neither automatic nor telephone activation will work) or 2) buy a Windows 10 license.

IMHO, as a result, it is not worth spending any money on it. You can buy a newer, much better-specified refurbished desktop PC with a valid Windows 10 license for about the same price or less than a mainboard/CPU purchase for your Lenovo M70e.

Thank you so much Rick for your response. My research backs up what you said. It simply would not be worth the money when there are newer more powerful factory refurbished PCs available. I think I will scrap the old ThinkCentre and move on.

By the way, your response was very informative regarding the Microsoft License. It did come with Windows 7 and I updated it to Windows 10 when Microsoft was offering it for free. That would be another $100 added to the rebuild.

I appreciate your knowledgeable response.
Have a safe and healthy New Year.
Dom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back