Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

length to pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar78

Technical User
Jul 16, 2002
US
Is there a maximum length of cable you can use on cat 5 going from the wall jack to PC??
Thanks in advance

The industry makes 25' cables which is a defacto standard maximum. The total length should be under 100m but it all depends on what you are using it for.

We have a computer that is on one side of a warehouse that they now want on the other side. They want to just use the same jack and string a long patch cable over the rafters to the other side. I wasn't sure if it could be done but said I'd check.

I have seen computers communicate over 25 pair phone cables on 66 blocks with 20' of jumper wire and 60' of two pair wire to the computer but it's not a good idea. If the customer will sign off on the fact that this is not meeting any standards and probably will have problems at times AND you stay within total overall length limits you might giva it a try. We run 300' in attics from a patch panel at the switch to jacks in the room and this is still in spec.

Ive been in the cabling field for about 8 years.Recently a fellow tech advised me that a standard line cord for a phone has a different pin-out on each end (ie;reversed,crossed over).Is this true? Ive made line cords before and I always pinned them out straight thru , and they were operable.Point me in the right direction...please.

line cords are reversed, as are jacks (wh/bl at block, bl/wh at jack). I too had been making them straight thru, and they worked. I went on an install with a phone tech from my dad's office and he told me that jacks are reversed, like i wrote above. if they are straight thru, it reverses polarity.
hope this helps
Jeff Jeff Moss
Warwick Communications, Inc
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Telephone line cords are reversed (generally) and data patch cables are straight through. If you have been using straight through cords on digitial extensions, you may not have a problem if the system is not polarity sensitive. Also using straight through cords on POTS analog lines is not a problem, it just reverses tip and ring but works fine. However, if you use straight cords on properly wired jacks with a digital system that IS polarity sensitive, it won't work. Also most two pair systems where you have data on the second pair and voice on the first pair won't work with a straight line cord. Basically if it is flat satin cable, the modular plugs should be reversed. This also lessens the chance of someone using this flat satin stuff for data connectivity.

Good Luck!
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Reversed cable for phnes is standard, like others have ststed. But,if you use two reversed cables and a coupler you just made it a straight thru cable. I find this all the time in the feild. A customer needed a longer cable and bought a coupler then pluged the two reversed base cords together and phone did not work. thaen they call a service call in. Very common mistake. This is a good forum to learn, I know I learn something new everyday. Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back