Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legend Version & Caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalYourPal

Technical User
Oct 18, 2012
US
We have a Legend system purchased used. When I check the version it responds "Legend 4.0 V9.2". Poking around the web it appears I should order a V7 controller board, there does not seem to be a way to upgrade the system board, am I wrong?

I replaced a "408 GS/LX-MLX" with a "408 GS/LX-ID-MLX" but it is not reporting caller ID, I suspect this is due to the version of controller, am I right on that?

I found and downloaded "Merlin Legend R7.0 V14.2 Maintenance Release, 7.0.x" which seems to be the latest release.

So the plan is to buy an "AT&T Legend Processor 7.0" module, install it, do a system renumber, and hopefully it will just work, yes? Any thoughts or odds on success?

Thanks!

An R7.0 processor, along with "ID" expansion modules, would be needed to take full advantage of Caller ID.

R7 V14.2 is, indeed, the final release for the Merlin Legend processor.

I don't think you could upload the R4 configs into an R7 processor. I can't remember if WinSPM has a conversion tool, but if it doesn't, the processor would need to re-programmed from scratch.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Yes, WINSPM has a handy dandy conversion tool. You have to back the system up to a file on your PC/LAPTOP and then do a convert. After that, you RESTORE the converted file to the R7. Also, bear in mind the convert process itself is so quick you don't think it really happened.

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

One point you need to keep in mind. You mentioned that you downloadedthe Legend R7, V14.2 software. I imagine what you downloaded is a "bin" file. In order to use that file to upgrade your existing Legend processor - you first have to load that downloaded "bin" file to a PCMCIA card - specifically a Merlin Legend Translation (back-up) card that is 4 MB in size. The file will NOT fit on a 2 MB card. To download the file to that card you need special software and a PCMCIA slot in your PC. My guess is you have neither readily available. So your choices are to buy a new processor with R7 already loaded (in which case you have to use WinSPM to upload your current programming and convert it from R4 to R7 - and then restore it after the new processor is installed) - OR - you can buy a Legend R7, V14.2 Upgrade card with the necessary upgrade files already on it. In this case you do not need to convert any of your existing programming files.

Tom Daugirdas,
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

For peanuts you can get a Magix processor. That is what I would do.

Switching to a Magix processor is good as long as the system contains cards that are supported by it. Any ATL cards & phones, for example, would need to be replaced.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back