Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legend R7 dropping calls occasionally 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerbers404

Programmer
Jun 11, 2001
US
Greetings,

Merlin Legend R7. I'm receiving a complaint from users that calls that they have answered occasionally are disconnected. For instance, one user reports that this happens 1-2 time a week, and that he will answer the incoming call, be able to talk for 5-10 seconds, and then the call will be disconnected.

My question is if anyone here thinks this could be a hardware issue with the processor or port? Is this a typical behavior for a Legend system that is showing its age and is on the way to a catastrophic failure? Or is their another, more likely and specific cause that I am not aware of yet?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gerbers404

1 or 2 times a week is not catastrophic, especially since the Cell Phone was invented.

The best way to trouble shoot this is to have the person with this problem observe if the LED's stay on or go off when this happens.

Also, if you have caller ID, you could find out if the source was a Cell Phone or not.

Plus, if your lines are labeled, that could be helpful as well. That way the person experiencing the call dropping could identify the line in use.

An even better way would be if you have SMDR Running on a computer, then all you would need to know to ID the line that dropped would be the time it happened and the Extension involved.

SMDR also can show if the call was first released by the CALLER or the Legend.

Also - what kind of phone lines are connected to the system? Are they regular POTS copper trunks? (Those rarely have problems). Are they digital to analog channel-bank lines? (Those often can have problems if not "tweaked" correctly).

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Merlinman & Tom,

I will ask him to pay attention if the LEDs cut out when this happens. He's out for the day, so I will ask him next week.

I agree that the frequency doesn't concern me too much at this point... Of course, the power user who is reporting the problem is our lead salesman, so he has a different opinion of acceptable than I do...

I had started logging from the SMDR port this morning looking for any occurrences. I will keep logging and instruct him to take note of his next incident so I can find the call in the log. I probably should turn down the time limit on what calls are logged, I think it is set to >40 seconds now.

Does the asterisk in an SMDR call record indicate that the call was released by the caller? I have always wondered what it indicates.

This is a POTS, 8 copper trunks serving about 50 extensions.

Thank you both for your replies.

Gerbers404

Good Morning,

The person reporting the problem states that the LEDs and display go dark momentarily when he loses calls, like the phone physically loses power. He hasn't lost any calls today, so I cannot look them up in the SMDR log.

I would think that the behavior he describes would be hardware related, but I don't know whether to blame the handset or the port on the PBX. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Gerbers404

If the LED's go out, that could be the call dropped from the other end. (SMDR would show that with the ASKERISK)

If the PHONE REALLY looses power, then you may want to do the self test.

(Intercom, Speaker, * Zero Zero, and then listen for static and or clicking and popping)

OK,

I'm waiting for the user to report any lost calls, and I'll look up the call in the log to see if it was dropped by the caller.

I will run the self test if I can't see that the call was dropped by the caller

Thanks Merlinman!

Gerbers404

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back