Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legend - How to Show CO Line in Use 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim E

Technical User
Jun 6, 2017
US
Hello, I’m running a Merlin Legend (Rel 7) in my home (keyset mode). I have several T&R sets (Trimline and Design Line) that are connected to the incoming landline directly. In my home office, garage, and a few other rooms, I have the Legend MLX sets.

Is there a way to show the CO line in use on an MLX set when a Trimline set is in use (connected directly to the Landline, before the Legend)? I thought about using the Legend T&R card and decided against because if the Legend fails, I still want the single line sets to work.

I also know that there are devices available that provide a A-Lead control when a CO line is in use for a 1A2 key system, but haven’t figured where the A-Lead control could be tied into the Legend. Any ideas would be great!

Regards,
Jim

No, the Legend or MAGIX will be "unaware" that you are parallel wired to a handset. Perhaps there's some weird external box from Sandman that you could wire to an RJ31X before sending it to the line port, but that's a bizarre dream.

Regarding power outage: if your Legend has a 408 LS/GS board, for example, you'll notice that there is a power fail port. That port will pass the dial tone through from the first line on that board during a failure, so there's that.

Tim Alberstein

Would it be possible to purchase a good UPS to keep the Legend up & running during power failures [ponder]

I have my Partner ACS plugged into a Tripp Lite UPS.

With the Legend, the only sets that will display Caller ID are MLX sets and ETRs (Partner phones) when compatible hardware is being used. [smile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Hi, Thanks Tim and Dexman for the ideas. I have a small UPS connected to my PC, and based on the Legend load, I can buy the same model again that will provide a minimum of 15 minutes power fail over. I'll go with that solution! My experience in Florida has only been momentary power interruptions, 5 minutes or less, during bad thunderstorms (mostly during summer months).

On the Merlin Plus model, there was a Power Failure jack similar to the Legend's power failure jack. The main difference was on the Merlin Plus, the jack was live all the time, and when anyone used the 'power failure phone', the line status light would show busy on all sets. On the Legend, the power failure line is dead until power fails, then it is active. Another nice feature lost in an upgrade.

Regards, Jim

Our Verizon Fios ONT and router are powered by a Tripp Lite SU1500XLCD. Expensive...but it is able to keep everything going throughout every outage we've encountered since it was purchased.

Here is another 1500VA UPS that costs much less, but should keep a Legend chugging along: [thumbsup2]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

IF...you had spare c.o. ports and wiring access for changes was easy, ( it is usually not easy in residence work)there may be an unsupported way to give you some partial satisfaction.

keep your chakras open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back