Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legend Carrier Power Issue 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

buthead

Technical User
Jul 1, 2005
US
Good Morning Team,
I'm in need of your expertise. I'm a Nortel guy in an Avaya world. I have a 3 carrier full blown Merlin Legend that went "South". The first/Main carrier is the issue. Something happened and it no longer has power. I have a spare system that I use for parts. I have replaced the carrier, power supply, (known to be good), processor, and still no love. the other two carriers are fine, but useless obviously, without the main brain. Card 5, an 0X12, is bad and has not been used in about 10 years if that helps. I never shot the trouble to determine if the card or slot was bad over the years because it was never needed. What have I missed. Thanks in advance.

Start with only one cabinet
power supply and processor and see if that powers on, then add the first card to it.
If you got the first cabinet working then put it back on the wall and if it goes down again your problem may be the second carrier shorting out something.
Also make sure that you have them pushed into each other nice and tight or they may behave completely nutty

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

One other item that needs to be mentioned, considering you replaced the Carrier, is the PIN that sticks out above the POWER SUPPLY Connector. If that gets broken off, it will not power up.

It's about 1/8th of an inch in diameter and maybe 1 1/4 or so long.

If it's there, it's obvious and not the issue. When they break, they usually break off flush or with little evidence of ever existing.

It mates with a HOLE in the Power Supply itself, and operates a micro-switch within.

Other than that, I fully agree with the steps that WESTI recommends.

Westi and Merlinman,
Thanks for your input. The issue was the plastic pin on the carrier backplane. Held it in with a piece of tape on the back of the power supply and that puppy came to life. Thanks again. You guys are "Rock Stars"
Buthead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back