Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato v6 Windwos 2000 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTickle

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm new to Legato and have a problem with an upgrade from NT4 server to Windows 2000 that runs Legato v6 as a storage node.

The server is a Compaq ML570 with a Compaq TL892 changer at firmware revision 05.14. The driver of the SCSI card that the changer is attached to is a Symbios driver.

The problem is that when I do a jbconfig -s and go through the process to add the jukebox I get the message:

Unable to access device 'Digital TL800 Series' on control port 'rd=jb5:scsidev@2.0.0' There appears to be something incorrect about your driver installation.

Also when I run an inquire, at the end of the line that reports the jukebox I get \\.\CD-ROM (where as when the server was NT4 this did not appear).

Before the upgrade (have tried clean builds and inline upgrades, default drivers and updated compaq drivers), as an NT4 server this setup worked without issue and I have built a proliant 5500 as Win2k and Legato v6 with a TL800 series attached, all working, same drivers, same scsi cards etc.

It all looks OK from a Windows point of view, but I dont know Legato and if anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

:)

Showing "\\.\CD-ROM" at the end of an INQUIRE output line is possible. However - having it in line with the jukebox information looks strange. In my eyes this can only happen if you got a SCSI CD-ROM drive and assigned the same ID to it as for the jukebox.

When you said that you only upgraded the software and did not change the hardware, the only thing that comes into my mind is that the "removable storage manager (RSM)" service is enabled, causing all kinds of trouble. Make sure that this is not the case. Look at this service first.

Thanks - but no joy I'm affriad, I tried disabling the RSM service and got the same result. The only thing I have noticed that is different between the Win2k build that works with Legato and the build that does not is the firmware revisiosn on the changer, the one that works is at 04.09 and the one the does no work using Win2k is at 05.14 - but this is OK under NT4????? I would have thought that the higher firmware revision would be more likely to work under Win2k (if it is this that is causing the issue)

As for the CD-ROM, its an IDE drive that is in the server and I have even disabled the drive and Inquire still shows \\.\CD-ROM at the end of the Jukebox line.

Do not forget that sometime as reboot is necessary to assign or release device names.

However, this assignment of the device names is done by Windows - NW will just use it later. I don't have a clue why your Windows sees the jukebox as a CD-ROM drive but as long as this has not been solved, the NW configuration will fail, of course.

I do not expect the firmware to be the problem - ther will be differences of course, but not such severe ones.

Maybe you provide the INQUIRE output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back