Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato (solstice backup 6.1) read open error, I/O error

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjayw

MIS
Nov 19, 2002
US
We have Solstice backup 6.1 installed on ultra 60 with L280 tape ibrary . I configured it and it was running ok for a week . I replaced new tapes in the tape library and now it does not do the inventry gives /dev/rmt/0cbn read open error, I/O error . I tried rebooting system .but it gives error and doesn't do labeling or inventry.
I have also installed the new patch but no change still same problem .

have anyone faced similar problems or any idea whats wrong ...

-Sanjay

If you put new (unlabeled) tapes into the jukebox, there is no need to inventory them. Instead, just label the tapes.

When you put tapes into the jukebox and try to label them, NetWorker will first try to read the label, to see if a label exists. Since these are unlabeled tapes, trying to read a label will generate an i/o error, but it will still label the tape in the end.

The same thing happens if you try to inventory unlabeled tapes. Even if there is a bar code label, if the bar code does not exist in the media database, then NetWorker will load the tape and try to read the label, thus generating the i/o error again.

Try the following:

nsrjb -l -n -S <slot> -f <device> ! load a tape without mounting
nsrmm -m -l -f <device> ! label and mount the media

Loading without mounting will cause NetWorker not to read the tape label

Hi,

we had the same problem with Lto-drives.

Change your timer setting for load + unload + eject operations in autochanger config.

40 sec. is a good value.

You can test less time if it works fine.
Also ask your library vendor for timer setting.

cyberted

sanjayw: what type of tape drives did you install? What verson of Solaris?

Since this happened after installing new drives, you may need to download and install a patch for the st driver.

Go to and search for &quot;st driver&quot;

I get this error if I try to label or inventory tapes while the autochanger is still doing its thing. I usually wait about 5 minutes before I do anything. No more problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back