Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato 6.1.1 Client problem, SFCAPI:SfcIsFileProtected 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cataylor

MIS
Mar 14, 2002
US
I have a w2k backup server running 6.1.1 and an nt4 client running 6.1.1. I am receiving the following after backup.
andromeda:C:\ No address for SFCAPI:SfcIsFileProtected.
andromeda: C:\ level=full, 1182 MB 00:10:26 14194 files
andromeda:SYSTEM STATE:\ No address for SFCAPI:SfcIsFileProtected.
andromeda: SYSTEM STATE:\ level=full, 18 MB 00:01:51 13 files
* andromeda:REPAIRDISK:\ No address for SFCAPI:SfcIsFileProtected.
andromeda: REPAIRDISK:\ level=full, 3065 KB 00:01:47 12 files
psp2kbk02.ps.rockwellcollins.com: index:andromeda level=full, 121 MB 00:00:22 43 files

has anyone ever seen or heard of this message. It only occurs on this box.

CAT

Apparently, this is generated by a Windows 2000 API that is not present on NT4, so should be able to be ignored. This is dependant on sql being on the system path when Networker is running.
A work-around might be to run a pre-post cmd method of doing the backup, where you redefine the path in a batch file calling the backup command.

That's right - we had that exact problem on an NT4 test server here (which also had MSSQL installed).

It appears that the Legato Networker client looks on the path for a file called sfc.dll or sfc*.dll and, if it find such a file, assumes that it must be running on Windows 2000 with the System File Checking enabled. Based on that *large* assumption, it then issues SFCApi calls during the backup process which obviously fail.

The good thing is that the backups still work so you can either disregard the message or remove the MSSQL\BINN directory from the path - the pre/post idea sounds like a good one as I wasn't able to get a specific response from any of our MS or DBA people as to what the impact on SQL would be if the BINN directory was not in the path. Although, when I tried it [removing BINN from the path], SQL carried on working apparently as normal.

Regards
wmg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back