Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legal to distribute NTSvc.ocx in an application

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
Is it legal to distribute NTSvc.ocx in an application? I've tried looking everywhere, but can't find any doc's on it...

Thanks

I don't see why not.
There is not redist file or such as far as I'm aware.
MS doesn't support it at all.
The NTService control was created so that developers of VB applications could run the apps as a NT service.

IMO it can be used as you wish, as long as you keep MS out of the picture (no mentioning, no resposibility, no liability, no support).

Thanks for the reply...
Do you know where I can find any Info on this?

There is a Readme.Txt file which came with it which explains how to use it. Also, do a search in microsoft.com and your msdn help files.
That's about all there is, as far as I know - obviously because it's not supported.

NTSvc.ocx is no longer distributed on microsoft.com, you'll have to use Google to find a copy.

BTW, do not put any breakpoints in the OnStart and OnStop events -- you'll crash VB. You'll need to debug your code by writing to a file or the NT event log.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back