Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legal question about proxied content

Status
Not open for further replies.

spamjim

Instructor
Mar 17, 2008
US
I would appreciate if someone could point me to US legal issues with unauthorized proxied content on a web site.

My company's web site is being accessed by another company. They obtain one of our live database-generated pages, trim out the data that they want, and then present it on their own server. Aside from copyright violation, is there some US law that prevents this?

Answering the topic myself... [bigsmile]

Legal issues with this are explained on wiki:

Just like any unauthorized copying, all you need is the simple grounds of copyright violation and the mess can be cleaned up easily... thanks to DMCA notices to the search engines and the web site's hosting provider.

Thanks. I've successfully used DMCA notices before on sites that copied our content. The thing that threw me was just that this new situation involved a live proxy to our content. I just needed to recognize that it was the same copyright issue.

I shut them down by modifying our page if their server IP was detected. So then they just scraped our database and hosted the whole thing on their site. Thankfully, the offending company, the search engines, and the hosting provider are all in the US and subject to DMCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back