Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legacy GPOs from SBS2003 to Windows 2008 Std -removal OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielUK

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
GB
Hi,

Last year I successfully migrated our SBS2003 domain over to a Windows 2008 Std server environment. Everything has been going swimmingly until I recently tried installing Spiceworks Network Monitor and found that it would not 'discover' any of my Win7 clients running AVG Internet Security Business Edition.

Thinking that it may be to do with the firewall I had a look at the firewall configuration on my Win7 clients. During my investigation I found that as well as the AVG firewall being active, the Windows Firewall is also active and the option to disable it is greyed out. At this point I got in contact with AVG as it is my understandng that the AVG installation automatically disables the Windows Firewall in lieu of AVG. The tech support said that they had reports of this very situation recently and that it may be soved over the weekend with an update.

Roll on to today and nothing has changed with the latest update so I started to look at reasons why the option to disable Windows Firewall is greyed out. I came across what seems to be a bunch of legacy SBS GPOs under my Group Policy Management (which I have never had to touch!) namely:

Small Business Server Client Computer
Small Business Server Domain Password Policy
Small Business Server Internet Connection Firewall
Small Business Server Lockout Policy
Small Business Server Remote Assistance Policy
Small Business Server Windows Firewall
Small Business Server Windows Vista Policy
Small Business Server Update services Client Computer Policy
Small Business Server Update Services Common Settings Policy
Small Business Server Update Services Server Computer Policy

Basically that is all that is listed under my Group Policy Objects. Can I delete these as I feel the firewall related ones might have some bearing over what I am seeing on the client i.e. it may not be an AVG problem but rather these legacy GPOs? Would anything break? [ponder]

Thanks

Dan

Hi, I've kind of answered my own question here. I deleted these GPOs and everything seems to be fine and hey presto, Windows firewall is now automatically off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back