Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

left speaker sound doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pureplayer

Technical User
Jan 10, 2004
CA
Hi, I have a problem with my sound. Only the right side is working. When I open volume control I can't set the balance to the left side because it is missing in volume control. It only shows the middle and right for the balance.

I have C-Media Wave Device "CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device" running on windows 2000 pro w/ SP4. P3 600MHZ 655MB RAM with PCChips M/B. SIS630 Chipset.

I'd probably start by checking 'sound' properties in control panel. In the 'audio' tab of the 'playback' device, click the 'advanced' button(I'm on XP right now, 2000 should look about the same) make sure it's set to stereo speakers of some sort, not mono.

If you have external speakers, doublecheck speaker plugs are seated well. Could also look in Device Manager at the sound card and ensure the properties look okay there.

see if manufacturer has an updated driver.

If no clues at that point, maybe remove the sound card in device mgr, then reboot and let system try to install again

Just some ideas, hope one of them works for you.

Thanks for the ideas. it turns out to be a driver update needed. Thanks again for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back