Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Left Outer Join

Status
Not open for further replies.

sekar211

MIS
Dec 15, 2003
US
I have a report in which i have set the "Preserve all final pass result" in the VLDB properties of the report.The SQL is as below:

select distinct a12.BAN BAN,
a12.MED_BILL_NAME MED_BILL_NAME,
a13.ACCT_STATUS ACCT_STATUS,
a14.ACCOUNT_STATUS ACCOUNT_STATUS
from ODS_BILL_MEDIA a12
left outer join ODS_ACCOUNT_STATUS a13
on (a12.BAN = a13.ACCOUNT_NUM_BAN)
left outer join ODS_REF_ACCOUNT_STATUS_CODE a14
on (a13.ACCT_STATUS = a14.ACCTSTATCD)

The SQL i am expecting is as follows:

select distinct a12.BAN BAN,
a12.MED_BILL_NAME MED_BILL_NAME,
a13.ACCT_STATUS ACCT_STATUS,
a14.ACCOUNT_STATUS ACCOUNT_STATUS
from ODS_BILL_MEDIA a12
join ODS_ACCOUNT_STATUS a13 ***No left outer Join***
on (a12.BAN = a13.ACCOUNT_NUM_BAN)
left outer join ODS_REF_ACCOUNT_STATUS_CODE a14
on (a13.ACCT_STATUS = a14.ACCTSTATCD)

I need left out join for only one join not for both.Is it possible to get it?

Thank You

I had similar issue that I tried to fix by using the VLDB setting but was never able to specify only one left outer join. It will do it for all. I got around it by creating a view that did the correct join and brought it in to the project. I am almost certain that the VLDB settings can not accomplish what you are looking for.

Actually, in the Report Data Options, there's a section for specifying join type for attributes. It's really more for controlling the behavior of attribute element filters, but you may have luck with it.

I don't use MSTR any more, so I don't have the application in front of me to look at the options. Give it a shot and let us know what you turn up.

By default all the attributes are outer join in report data option.I worked around it but din't make any difference.

I think as Jac74 said i have to work with view or in my case i can add a null row in the the table and use applysimple to convert that null value to some other value like "0" to make a regular inner join.

Do you think this can be over come if we have privilege to hardcode the sql?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back