Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Left Join Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinkjo

Programmer
Apr 12, 2003
US
I have 2 Tables: SeasonPlayer and GamePlayerStats.
I want to retrieve all of the info from SeasonPlayer and if their is matching info on GamePlayerStats(for a particular game) retrieve that also.

I think this is the correct query, but I keep getting "Join Expression Not Supported". Please help !!!

SELECT lastNm
FROM SeasonPlayer LEFT JOIN GamePlayerStats ON SeasonPlayer.playerid = GamePlayerStats.playerid and GamePlayerStats.gameid = '12345'

Try this SQL:

SELECT SeasonPlayer.lastNm
FROM SeasonPlayer LEFT JOIN GamePlayerStats ON SeasonPlayer.playerid = GamePlayerStats.playerid
WHERE GamePlayerStats.gameid = '12345';

You have to seperate the Join criteria from the record Selection criteria with a WHERE clause statement.

Bob Scriver

I tried that and it gets me past the syntax error, but I don't get the desired results. The where clause filters out all results. I always want the rows returned from the seasonPlayer table even if there is no match on the gamePlayerStats table.

This requires two queries. Save this query as qryRecSelect:
Select * FROM GamePlayerStats WHERE GamePlayerStats.gameid = '12345';

This first one performs the specific select of the records from GamePlayerStats. The next query uses this query as the right side of the Left Join.
SELECT SeasonPlayer.*, qryRecSelect.*
FROM SeasonPlayer LEFT JOIN qryRecSelect ON SeasonPlayer.playerid = qryRecSelect.playerid;

To execute this just run the final query.

Bob Scriver

zinkjo:

Your SQL is correct, it is just Access that have some limitations as to what it allows.

Code:
SELECT lastNm  
   FROM SeasonPlayer LEFT OUTER JOIN GamePlayerStats 
     ON (SeasonPlayer.playerid = GamePlayerStats.playerid 
    and GamePlayerStats.gameid = '12345')

Putting a condition on the right hand table in the where clause will not be a good idea as it will countereffect the outer join.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back