Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LEFT function not accepting

Status
Not open for further replies.

scasystems

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
GB
Hi All,
This is a nutty one. We have developed an application which up until now works on all operating systems with no problems. Windows me, 98, 2000 and xp.
Recently got a sony vaio portable and installed microsoft office 2000 profressional on it.
Trouble is the queries were not working and found that it doesn't recognize the left function.

any ideas?????

I know little about these devices, but the problem sounds like a missing library to me. Suggest checking the listed libraries and comparing them with those on a machine that works, then fill in any gaps.

HTH

Nigel
Didn't someone say work is supposed to be fun? They didn't have computers then I guess....

Sorted it. Re-Installed and now works fine
Cheers anyway

Run-time error '3075':

IIf([Selected]![Product]=0,"?",IIf([Selected].[Ext_Product]="",Left([Products].[Name],3),[Selected].[Ext_Product])) & IIf('XX' Like 'X*','*','%') AS ProductX

This error first came to light when being installed on an XP machine. We also have had another client with the same problem.

After simplifying the SQL down it comes to light that the LEFT function will not parse (also tests show that RIGHT and MID do not parse either).

On the developer machines these errors do not occur (Windows 98 SE)

After further reading on the MSDN knowledge base we upgraded to MDACTYPE.exe to 2.8 RTM on the developer machines. As well as Jet40 since these have been discontinued from Mdac 2.6.

And hey presto we now have the same error. Surely these functions are basic SQL functions and should work.

Also on the XP machine where the problem first occured after re-installing office 2000 the problem disappeared.

Any suggestions apart from re-installing Office 2000? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back